Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Guardian

I love bloodroot. It is a very unusual yet abundant flower around our property and I can't take enough pictures of it. Not only are the flowers extremely white with bright yellow centers. But as you can see in this photo, the tall spike behind the flower is a bloom waiting to hapoen. My favorite part though is the way the leaf wraps around each flower stem as if protecting it from the weather, sun, me, you name it. It's like a little warrior shielding any harm that comes near and I like that. Over time, the leaf becomes huge and will actually cover the flower completely giving it a sanctuary of its own to dwell in - isn't that sweet? Now, imagine a whole little area covered with these strong guardians, brings a smile to my face just thinking about it :)

1 comment:

  1. Please don't ever stop sharing your creative words with us. You have a wonderful talent for describing what you see and telling us "the story". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete