Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ruler Leaf?

Some Thesaurus words for "style" - characteristic, design, expression, flair, idiosyncrasy, peculiarity, polish, refinement, smartness, technique, treatment.

Style for many is hard to define so look at these words and see if something about your tastes resonates within you. For as many years as I have been creating this is the one thing I just couldn't give myself a certain style. I have always thought of my artwork as detailed, nature oriented expressed with a twist. Now if that isn't a broad category, I don't know what is. I hope you are having better luck with your characteristics than I am.

I have been working on an appliqued quilt top and wanted to share my flair with you. Yes, I even stand out in the quilting world but I've come to expect that of my pieces so it comes with the territory. This portion shows a couple leaves, berry and stem. While all the colors flow beautifully together, who would have thought to use the nontraditional ruler fabric for a leaf. Not to mention the letters for a berry. Did you notice I fussy cut the berry to have our initials in it? Yes, it was done on purpose and I really wanted this piece to reflect my personality. So, take a chance and let your style show with a lot of creativity and imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment