Sunday, February 28, 2010

Black and White

Fall is my favorite time of year. Not only because of the spectacular colors but because of the changing of the seasons. It also brings along pumpkins, gourds, candy apples, hay rides and the colorful indian corn. I did a colored pencil rendering of indian corn and found this black and white photo I had taken of the husks. I loved it because of the linear aspect of the subject but also in the details of the corn husks. The values are great giving you the true dimension of space helping you observe the curling of each layer putting one on top of the other. The dirty spots only add to the intrigue of the piece. Add a few values of wonderful dried corn and the rest is a beautiful composition. I would love to one day do this as an art quilt because the lines will definitely lend itself to stitching and I could also pull together wonderful colors to represent the season. Maybe I'll even do it in black and white to really make you look at the subject matter with new, exciting eyes. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment